The consensus here at Southern Sisters is that the aroma of a coffee cake baking in the oven on a lazy weekend morning is a beautiful thing. Entice your family to come to the table for a "civilized" breakfast. You won't be sorry. This blueberry and almond delight is a snap to whip up and a most welcome guest at your breakfast table. Add some soft scrambled eggs, hickory bacon and hot coffee and you've just outdone yourself. Oh, and adding mimosas would make you a Breakfast Queen.
Blueberry-Almond Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. In a bowl, whisk together 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup plain yogurt and 3 T. vegetable oil.
2. In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 t. baking powder, and 1/2 t. salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and combine just until moistened.
3. Fold 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries into the batter. Pour batter into a greased 9-inch spring form pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup fresh blueberries.
4. In a small bowl, combine 2 T. turbinado or regular sugar, 2 T. sliced almonds, and 1/2 t. cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes then remove the sides of the pan.
Makes 8 servings